One of the most popular events in Southwest Florida each and every year is the Edison Festival of Light, which takes place every February in downtown Fort Myers. We have the information you need to see one of the country’s best festivals that culminates in one of the most popular parades in the Southeastern United States.
What is the Edison Festival of Light?
Although he mostly lived in New England, Thomas Alva Edison, the inventor of the light bulb among other inventions, preferred the warmer temperatures of his Fort Myers winter estate for many years. The Edison Festival of Light is a non-profit organization that honors Edison’s contributions to the community through this eight-day festival that many call the premier Southwest Florida event of the season each year.
Edison Festival of Light Events Guide
With eight days of events, there’s a lot to do during the Edison Festival of Lights. We have your guide to the biggest events of the weekend.
- STEMtastic Day of Discovery is held 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Feb. 8 at the Lee County Public Education Center. This event provides tons of fun for children and families to experience STEM interactive STEM areas. Musical, acrobatic and theatrical performances from local area children will grace the community stage.
- The fifth annual Edison Festival of Light Food Trucks and Craft Beer event will be held from 12 p.m. to 7 p.m. on Feb. 8 and includes local food and drinks from participating food trucks on the intersection of Hendry Street and Edwards Drive in downtown Fort Myers.
- Dog lovers unite for the Mutt Strutt 12 p.m. to 4 p.m. Feb. 8. This free event allows dogs and their owners to strut their stuff in their finest outfits and jewelry along Hendry Street between Edwards Drive and Bay Street.
- The Junior Fun Run is a run for children in grades five and below that starts at the corner of First and Lee streets. There is a $5 entry fee and the run includes a T-shirt and a ribbon. Registration begins at 10:30 a.m. and the race begins at 12 p.m. on Feb. 9.
- Come listen to Ft. Myers Symphonic Mastersingers Edison Festival of Lights Concert at 2 p.m. on Feb. 9 at St. Michael’s Lutheran Church. The free concert will take you through time exploring
- Florida’s largest youth parade, The Junior Parade, showcases more than 100 floats, marching bands, dancers and more from local children at 2:30 p.m. Feb. 9. The Junior Parade starts at the Downtown River District.
- Following the Junior Parade, gather for the Junior Coronation & Parade Awards at the Sidney & Berne Davis Arts Center and witness the crowning of the Junior King and Junior Queen at 4:30 p.m. Feb. 9, which will get a place on a royalty float in the Grand Parade.
- The annual Crafts on the River event is a non-juried event open to local and national artisan and crafters at Lee County Second Street Lot. The event is open to the public 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Feb. 15 and 16.
- More than 1,400 participants enter the Edison Festival of Light 5K Run each year in the Downtown River District, which runs from 5:45 p.m. to 6:45 p.m. Feb. 15. For registration information, call (239) 225-0234.
Edison Festival of Light Grand Parade
The largest parade in the Southeastern United States, the Edison Festival of Light Grand Parade, starts at 7 p.m. on Feb. 15 at Fort Myers High School and heads to the riverfront. It is a two-hour extravaganza of lights, floats, marching bands and more.
Edison Festival of Light Classic Car Show
Say farewell to the eight days of Festival of Light festivities with a Classic Car Show 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Feb. 16 at the Downtown River District. Enjoy owners showing off their classic cars while you enjoy food, drinks and craft booth vendors along the river.
Book Your Festival of Light Accommodations
Rent a Boat
Categorized by: Things To Do Around Sanibelblog comments powered by Disqus