Winter may be having a hard time loosening its grip up north but spring is in full swing here on Sanibel Island! While you are here enjoying the sun, white sandy beaches and the Gulf of Mexico, here’s what to do on Sanibel Island in April to help you plan a fantastic vacation.
Sanibel Island Local Events
If you really want to take advantage of all Sanibel Island and the surrounding area has to offer in April, here are the events you need to put on your calendar:
- Start your vacation off right with live music in the Boler Garden at BIG ARTS with a free Sanibel Island Jazz Concert 3 p.m. Sunday, April 10. Island Jazz presents the concerts made up mostly of Sanibel island residents. Bring a chair because seating is limited.
- Take advantage of one of the best farmer’s markets around this month. The Sanibel Island Farmer’s Market runs through April 24 and doesn’t reopen until October. So if you want fresh produce, fresh bread and even lunch and dinner fresh seafood options, head to the market from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturdays through April 24.
- Some people come to Sanibel Island just to see that beautiful sunset disappear on the Gulf of Mexico. Just north of Sanibel Island, Fort Myers Beach holds sunset celebrations with live music, food and more 5 p.m. to 10 p.m. Fridays and Saturdays in April at Times Square on Fort Myers Beach.
- Want to catch a movie? The annual Fort Myers Beach Film Festival launches April 20-24. The festival highlights independent films created both by local and up and coming filmmakers. A list of locations and film show times can be found here.
- Celebrate Earth Day on Sanibel Island, which is known as an environmental powerhouse of parks that harbor a variety of wildlife. Celebrate Earth Day 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. April 22 at N. “Ding” Darling National Wildlife Refuge. The refuge is co-hosting a free day of family environmental activities that include earth crafts and nature hikes with co-host Tarpon Bay Explorers. For more information, call (239) 472-1100.
- Celebrate the end of April with the Smoke on the Water Fort Myers Barbecue Competition & Music Festival 6 p.m. to 10 p.m. Friday, April 29 and 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. Saturday, April 30. Barbecue teams from across the southeast will showcase their ribs and other barbecue to try and win first prize. Walk along the Fort Myers Riverfront while sampling barbecue and enjoying live music.
Dining Options Abound
Sanibel Island has some of the freshest seafood around. So celebrate April at waterfront restaurants with great food that will please your taste buds. The restaurants have kid-friendly menu options and great cocktail selections for parents. The Lighthouse Restaurant and other dining eateries are available for you to enjoy.
Spend a Day or More on the Water
Rent a boat this April to cruise or spend the day fishing. The island’s weather is typically fantastic this time of year, which includes cool breezes and spectacular sunsets that light up the sky. At Port Sanibel Marina, you can rent a variety of boats for half days, full days or even a week. You can also choose to rent canoes and kayaks too. If you’re coming by boat, Port Sanibel Marina also offers both dry storage and wet slips. Or head out on a fishing charter or an eco and shelling tour. Book your April water activities, boat cruises and charters and more at Port Sanibel Marina.
Book Your April Visit Now
Sanibel Island is peaceful and also provides great opportunities for shelling and biking. That means this island is extremely popular. A vacation rental is what you need if you plan on enjoying all that Sanibel Island has to offer. You can rent a fully furnished condo with a fully functional kitchen at Royal Shell Vacation Rentals.
So enjoy April this year on Sanibel Island. You will love the island’s weather this time of year, which includes cool breezes and spectacular sunsets that light up the sky. Give us a call at 239-437-1660 to plan your trip today.