Five captains from Port Sanibel Marina will be participating in the Big Snook Tournament, being held at the Marina at Edison Ford in Downtown Ft. Myers on Friday & Saturday, April 4th and 5th. All interested captains and/or anglers are URGED to sign up!
With the help and support of Lee County Commissioner Sawyer Smith and the Florida Gulf Coast University (FGCU) Fishing Club, the tournament is kicking of its first debut since 2010!
(provided by the tournament website)
The Edison Big Snook Tournament is held to improve the conservation and research of Snook. The goal of the tournament is to improve the health of the existing Snook population in Southwest Florida and beyond.
“The Edison Big Snook Tournament has helped the Florida Fish and Wildlife Research Institute (FWRI) Snook Research Program countless times since the inaugural Edison Big Snook Spring Catch and Release in April of 2000.” To bring back the tournament, County Commissioner Smith approached the FWRI at the end of 2013.
Registration & Prizes
Boat registration is $575 and three anglers are allowed to each craft. Each angler has the chance to win from over $10,000 in cash prizes:
- $2,000 1st Place, heaviest combined weight of up to 3 Snook
- $1,500 Heaviest Snook caught east of the Edison Bridge
- $1,500 Heaviest combined weight caught east of the Edison Bridge
- $1,000 Heaviest tournament Snook
- $750 2nd Heaviest Snook caught east of the 41 bridge
- $500 2nd Heaviest tournament Snook
- $300 Optional Calcutta payable at Captain’s Meeting
Participants can enjoy pre-tournament events on Friday and celebratory events, following the tournament, on Saturday. Below is a play-by-play of each event planned for the tournament:
FRIDAY, April 4th
- 5:00 p.m. Tournament Registration & Cocktail Party
- 7:00 p.m. Dinner & Captains Meeting
SATURDAY, April 5th
- 7:00 a.m. Check-in @ the Marina at Edison Ford & Grab Lunch for Later
- 8:30 am Shotguns Start
- 9:00 a.m. Weigh Stations open
- 4:30 p.m. Weigh Stations Close
- 4:30 p.m. Cocktail Party
- 6:00 p.m. Dinner & Awards
Tournament registration can be completed online at the tournament’s website. For further questions or inquiries, contact the Marina at Edison Ford at (239) 245-7320.
Categorized by: Fishing